A client walked into my office last week complaining of low energy, achy joints, irregular menstrual cycles and chronic sinus issues. She asked “ What is your best nutrition tip to help me turn my health around?”
Whether you’re suffering from a myriad of health issues or you feel like Superwoman the second your toes hit the floor each morning, there is one nutrition coaching tip every one of us can benefit from starting today. The answer?
Learn how to support your body’s natural detoxification system with your fork.
Chemical-laden beauty products, scented candles and plug-ins, smog, junk food, cigarette smoke, stress- you name it. Toxins, both physically and mentally surround us and they are not going away any time soon. Sure, our liver and kidneys are meant to filter the gunk but what happens when they are too backed up to perform their job efficiently? We need to do our best to come in with reinforcement. Making sure your body runs like a well oiled machine is one of the most effective ways to prevent serious issues down the line such as depression, cancer and autoimmune disease.
Contrary to popular belief, supporting detoxification is more than just chugging water and downing veggies.
Here are my top 5 tips to support your body’s natural detox process:
- Be sure to consume enough calories AND protein. The most critical step to the process is often the most overlooked step. If you are not eating enough to support your body’s physiological process AND you are not consuming enough protein, your liver will struggle greatly to filter toxins (Hence why a juice cleanse doesn’t truly work for detoxification). Adequate amino acid intake is critical, particularly for phase II of detoxification. In other words, be sure to incorporate a palmful of a high quality protein source at every meal- plant or animal based!
- Strategically choose foods that boost your detox pathways. Sure, colorful fruits and veggies will never go out of style, but phytonutrient rich brassicas like cabbage, bok choy, collards, broccoli in addition to garlic, onion, pomegranate, watercress, green tea, cilantro, artichoke and cacao have the ability to enhance our natural detoxification pathways.
- Incorporate high quality fat on a daily basis. Ample amounts of Omega 3 fatty acids and monounsaturated oils can support your liver in flushing toxins out of the body. Your new best friends? Salmon, flaxseed, olive oil, almonds and avocado.
- Drink enough fluid. Perhaps this goes without saying but there are a few of us out there who would benefit from a friendly reminder. Adequate fluid intake will help our kidneys more efficiently flush toxins. Aim for at least half your body weight in ounces of fluid each day. (Yes, tea and smoothies count)!
- Choose a modality to increase blood and lymphatic circulation. Keeping our circulatory and lymphatic system running and draining is key to supporting a whole foods eating regimen. Stay consistent with your favorite exercise routine and consider regular massage or body work. Sauna therapy, rebounding (think mini trampoline) and dry brush therapy can be helpful.
Cheers to longevity!