As a practicing Australian Naturopath, Nutritionist and Astrologer I have the great pleasure of getting to combine my favorite topics and use them in differing amounts to produce many elixirs for healing.
Even if someone does not know their birth time you can look up in books or websites what sign the Moon was in on a certain day. Websites such as Astro.com or even my website Astrologyofhealth.com you can enter in your birth data and locate what sign the Moon was in. Now most of us read astrology columns for our Sun sign and that is great fun but there are many other things to looks into. I talked last month about your Rising Sig or Ascendant and I wanted to introduce you to your Moon sign this month as it has a lot of sway over your emotions as well as your food choices.
When we then take the Moon in to the Medical Astrology paradigm, the definitions or key words we need to remember are receptive, nurturing, enfolding, instinct, intuition, emotion, rhythms and cycles. It rules the fluids of the body, the mucus membranes, the uterus, the breasts, the chest region, the stomach, and upper digestive function. It rules daily habits, both the good and the bad, is liable to fluctuations and is partially to blame for our chosen eating patterns and emotional links to illness.
So how can we support our Moon so that she can in turn nurture us? This is where I love to explain to clients how making health a daily ritual, creating supportive habits, and accepting our innate weaknesses can all be beneficial so that we can recognize when we are self-sabotaging and going astray.
Let’s take a look at each of the Moon signs, what they rule, how they are expressed as well as the foods and other natural therapies that can be used to support each individual sign. This article is in no way to replace a medical diagnosis. Please seek medical/professional advice when in doubt or before starting a treatment or taking herbal medicine.
The Aries Moon type will be childlike, overstimulated and rush about which in turn depletes their energy reserves and taxes their adrenals. They will push their body until exhaustion. They are quick eaters, often choosing fast foods and readymade meal to save time. Indigestion, heart burn and bloating can result from their food choices and lack of chewing. As Aries rules the head region of the body, they will be prone to headaches, fevers and head colds. They can be quite pain sensitive and will have redness, swelling and inflammation quickly. When feeling unwell they need alone time in quiet surroundings to recuperate, fussing over them will only cause aggravation.
- Eating by element (see table)
- Cooling foods, decrease onions, garlic and spices
- Swimming, especially in the ocean or immersion into any cool body of water
- Resting, reading and journaling
- Herbal teas: Peppermint, nettle, green and liquorice tea
The Taurus Moon brings a strong and sturdy constitution with great stamina and endurance. Care must be taken as Taurus rules the 5 senses including taste and thus, they tend to overindulge in food and drink leading to easy weight gain. Seldom unwell due to their strong constitution, they can easily overcome illnesses that would put weaker signs into bed. The downside to this strength is their stubborn nature which can make lifestyle changes a bit slow. Areas of disturbance are bowels, throat and thyroid. When unwell they need positive people and music to lighten the mood.
- Earth diet (see table)
- Lighter meals, salads, bitter foods and soups
- Routine and regular habits
- Exercise and movement (try something with music)
- Temperance in food and alcohol
- Hot water with lemon slices or apple cider vinegar
- Herbal teas: Dandelion, Chai and digestive teas, Chamomile, Elderberry and Lemon balm
This air Moon loves to study, learn and search for new information leading to their nervous system being overtaxed and frazzled. They can be high energy and then experience exhaustion all within a few hours. They need to take planned down time, or they will suffer burnout quite easily. They can forget to eat or drink; thus dehydration and blood sugar levels need to be watched. Learning to check in with what their physical body wants is an important skill for them to learn. When unwell they need a change of environment, lots of fresh air to support their lungs and light exercise in nature to ground and recharge.
- Air diet (see table)
- Mental and nerve building foods such as: seeds and nuts, olive oil and avocado
- Protein foods that are not dairy as they have a tendency to mucus congestion
- Grounding / outdoor activity
- Sunshine and saltwater
- Herbal teas: Nettle, Lemon balm, Skullcap and Echinacea
This Moon sign is the nurturer of the zodiac but must remember to ‘self-care’ too. They tend to digestive upsets, emotional eating and worry which can lead to more digestive and emotional upsets. The Cancer Moon has great imaginative skills, but this too can lead to worry and anxiety over imagined health issues. The chest region is liable to mucus congestion and in females there can be period and hormonal issues. When things are not flowing well emotionally, they tend not to flow well physically either. They need nurturing and mothering from others when unwell, with access to whatever body of water is near by.
- Water diet (see table)
- Nurturing foods like soups and stews
- Watching the emotional eating and finding another outlet not involving food
- Ocean, bathtub or other forms of water immersion
- Company and socialising with nurturing friends
- Herbal Teas: Chamomile, Peppermint, any digestive tea, Lemon Verbena
This strong fire Moon constitution rarely gets sick, they can push on through stress that would knock most other people sideways. This is a great asset for getting things done but can lead to burnout or anxiety. Leo rules the heart and emotional upsets can trigger feelings of panic and heart palpitations. They carry their stress in their upper back and do well to have regular massages or other types of physical treatments. Not easy patients when unwell they can become prickly and need to be left on their own to recuperate. Finding gentle activities and exercise such as yoga or Pilates can be great when trying to discharge their pent-up stress.
- Fire diet (see table)
- Adequate water intake with electrolytes
- Relaxing movement style exercise
- Solitude and journaling their emotions
- Cooling activities such as swimming
- Herbal Teas: Valerian, Motherwort, Chamomile
The signature of this Moon with health problems is an overtaxed nervous system leading to digestive/intestinal upsets. One of the hardest working Moons of the zodiac and with their slightly perfectionistic tendencies this can lead to exhaustion. Blood sugar issues can also occur if the Virgo Moon forgoes eating for finishing work projects. Meals at regular intervals and a proper sleep routine will go a long way to nourishing their body and mind. Food sensitivities must be considered as their small intestine rulership can lead to issues of IBS and or constipation.
- Earth diet
- Food diary with symptoms to uncover food sensitivities
- Regular routine and sleep
- Hot water with lemon slices
- Nature, grounding and walking in the woods
- Yoga and other gentle forms of exercise
- Herbal teas: Fennel, Dandelion, Ginger
This Moon is all about balance and helping the ‘other’ which in turn means they don’t spend enough energy on keeping themselves healthy. Libra Moon rules the urinary system as well as fluid and hormone balance. Metabolism can be slower and they must be careful to balance their food indulgences with some good movement. An unwell Libra Moon needs company, music to get the body back into equilibrium. They must remember to give back to themselves rather than always making sure everyone else is happy.
- Air diet
- Good hydration and alkaline style eating
- Seaweed, salads and bitter greens
- Walking, yoga and other forms of exercise
- Music, laughter and fresh air
- Herbal Teas: Nettle, Liquorice, Green tea and Lemon juice in hot water
This Moon is strong, resilient, and deep! They have amazing recuperative abilities which is great as the water Moons are more prone to illnesses due to their magnetic nature. Scorpio rules the reproductive system, the bowels and detoxification processes. Holding on to emotional residue can lead to physical ailments and they are prone to constipation as well as urinary issues. Getting the Scorpio Moon to sweat via sports, saunas or hot baths can be a great therapy for both physical and emotional congestion. When unwell give them a lot of space and quiet time to recuperate.
- Water diet
- Good hydration practices
- Fresh fruits and vegetables with lots of natural fiber
- Hot water and lemon juice or apple cider vinegar or Aloe Vera juice
- Nothing in excess, especially salty foods
- Exercise, sweating and water therapies
- Nature, grounding and reflection time or journaling
- Herbal Teas: Valerian, Dandelion, Liquorice or Elderberry tea
This gregarious Moon can overextend themselves and run into issues of burnout. Their love of freedom, travel and adventure can lead to accidents and injuries while in motion. Not wanting to be ‘limited’ in any way can lead to excess food and drink putting stress on their liver and digestive system. Exercise is mandatory for this Moon to stay healthy. It’s a matter of not doing too much or doing it too fast. The nerves and adrenals can suffer and need support. Sleep, time in nature and a good book will see them on the road to recovery.
- Fire diet
- Rest and relax, try reading a book to keep still
- Gentle exercise such as yoga and walking in nature
- Moderation in food and drink
- Sleep, naps and slowing down
- Socializing, music and dancing
- Herbal teas: Dandelion, Nettle and Skullcap
This earth Moon has rulership of the skin and skeleton as well as all things of form and structure. It is a colder constitution with little vital heat and a tendency to melancholy. The good news is they get stronger with every year and often sickly Capricorn Moon children will be one of the healthiest of adults. This Moon tends to hide away when unwell or feeling down, the best therapy for them is socializing and music to shift them into a better place. Nature, not oversleeping and some gentle movement in the sunshine will help lift their spirits.
- Earth diet
- Digestive bitters and alkaline style diet
- Laughter is their best medicine, socializing and contact with friends
- Exercise, walking in nature and the mountains
- Regular sleep routine
- Warming and well-cooked foods
- Temperance with alcohol and fermented foods
- Herbal teas: Chamomile, Passionflower, Skullcap, Yarrow, Echinacea
This unique Moon sign is ahead of their time, with a busy brain and imagination leading to an overtaxed nervous system. Aquarius rules the messages sent via the nerves and they can easily experience heart palpitations, anxiety, or insomnia. The heart and circulation can also be affected as can the ankles and calves which are prone to cramps and sprains. Their ungrounded nature means it is easy to forget self-care and daily routines. Reminders to eat and exercise can go a long way to keeping this air Moon in a good place. When unwell they need rest, lack of mental stimulation and nature if you can convince them to go outside.
- Air diet
- Adequate hydration and regular mealtimes
- Acupuncture and massage
- Exercise and deep breathing or singing
- Socializing and dancing or yoga
- Journaling and creative endeavors
- Herbal Teas: lemon Balm, Chamomile, Skullcap
This sensitive soul has an abundance of creativity and intuition though this can lead to a lack of boundaries and exhaustion. Pisces rules both the immune and lymphatic systems and there is a tendency to pick up every illness going around. The Pisces Moon can also try an escape how they feel with the use of food and alcohol, so take care this does not become a go to ‘stress’ strategy. There is trouble noticing when they have eaten enough as their lack of boundaries comes into play with their digestive system. A colder constitution, lacking vital heat the circulation to the limbs and especially the feet can lead to foot issues or a good shoe addiction.
- Water diet
- Grounding exercises and getting outdoors into nature
- Adequate hydration and sleep schedule
- Journaling rather than internalizing emotions and creating physical ailments
- Resting when tired so their sensitive constitution does not become depleted
- Taking time for self rather than rescuing everyone around them
- Fresh air and sunshine
- Water therapy such as: baths, swimming and getting to the ocean or lake
- Herbal teas: Echinacea, Sage, Yarrow and Rosehips
Moon Foods and Diet
One of the simplest ways to support your Moon is to look to its elemental nature. Keeping a food, fluid, physical and emotional diary for a week can tell you an enormous amount about why you eat, how your body reacts to foods and what makes you feel energized. It can show you which foods make you feel poor, bloated, or cranky. Have fun with the elemental lists below and see how you go.
(Aries, Leo, Sagittarius)
(Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn)
(Gemini, Libra, Aquarius)
(Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces)
|Foods to nourish the brain and circulation||Foods for the liver, digestion and alkalising the body||Foods to nourish the nerves such as: fish, nuts and seeds, avocado and olive oil||Warm and well cooked foods: soups and stews|
|Cooling foods, salads to bring down their ‘heat’||Fresh fruits and vegetables in a cooked form (soups, stews, stir fry)||Whole grains and root vegetables for grounding, soups, stews and slow cooker meals||Fresh fruits and vegetables, root vegetables and dried fruits are ok in small amounts|
|Plenty of fluids as tend to dehydrate||Dairy products create cold and congestion||Small amount of animal food or fish for protein and grounding||Fermented foods and dairy can aggravate and cause congestion|
|Iron rich foods: red meats, green leafy vegetables||Iodine and calcium rich foods: seaweed, seeds and nuts, dark green veggies||Dairy can create too much mucus||Poor food choices when stressed or emotional|
|Walnuts, seeds and nuts, healthy oils: avocado, olive and coconut oil||Fiber from whole grains, fruits and vegetables||Fresh vegetables in salads and stir fries||Watch alcohol intake and stimulants|
|Slowing down and chewing their food||Digestive bitters, apple cider vinegar and bitter greens to enhance digestion||Foods high in magnesium: dark leafy greens, seeds and nuts||Care with overeating and drinking|
|Herbal teas for circulation, stress, anxiety and exhaustion||Teas to support the liver and digestion as well as lift the spirit and mood||Teas to support the nervous system and calm the mind||Digestive, detoxification and immune supportive teas|
|Green and peppermint teas for cooling and brain health||Warming fluids with ginger and spices||Hot water and ginger or lemon slices||Hot water with lemon slices|