Everything we say, do, feel and think is a conversation with the universe. In this way, we create our reality. Imagine yourself surrounded by all of your thoughts, attitudes, feelings and actions. You undoubtedly see a very busy situation. 

A person who spends their time in silent gratitude for their life has a much different experience than a person who feels resentful. 

Some of this is choice. Some of this is practice. Some of this is grace. 

Feeling as if the life you live is rewarding in and of itself is a step in the direction of living in gratitude. 

• Where do you have gratitude in your life?
  • Where are you mired in unproductive thoughts or worry?
  • Can you let these thoughts go, or is there something you need to learn or change to do so?

Here are two examples from my own life:

Years ago, I was dating a man who was unreliable. He didn’t do what he said. He wasn’t honest or truthful with me. He had issues with addiction. I spent a lot of time worrying about him. 

I did use the thought, Let Go and Let God, to help soothe me. But something deeper needed to occur. You would think the answer was that I had to let go of him. But that was to happen later. The earlier step was learning that I wasn’t responsible for him. I didn’t need to make sure he was okay. I cared about him, but I had to let go of needing him to be okay so I would be okay. This was not only work; it was my path so that I could become a more complete human being. It was a practice, a journey and my life required that I attend to it. 

If you are caught in a difficult relationship, ask yourself:

• What do I need to learn to make this situation easier?
  • Is it time to leave?
  • What can you be grateful for?
  • Can you change your perspective and find gratitude for the opportunities for growth, despite the challenges and pain?

Another example: 

I often have too much to do. On the work front, I have a start-up I am running. I write articles to help people with their relationships, I am working on a book. And of course there is life, dealing with health issues, exercise, cooking, gardening, reading, talking to friends and relatives, helping others and so much more. 

We all have full lives. 

When I have too much to do, I can begin to work obsessively. I hunker down and do. But it isn’t good for my spirit. My spirit wants more freedom. It wants me to find more time for play and magic. Some of that involves learning how to prioritize. 

• What can I let go of in my life?
  • What is not nourishing me in my life?
  • What do I need to say no to, so I can open up the space to say yes to something else?
  • How can I simplify my life and let go of some of what I do not need so that the living of my life is rewarding in and of itself?
  • What is calling me; where is my bliss?

As I make decisions on some of this, I am clearing out some of what I do not need and allowing myself to reside in what gives me more joy and experience more gratitude. 

There is so much we can feel insecure about – our bodies, our accomplishments, our relationships. 

But what if we allow ourselves to get quiet and say, I want to let go of everything that is torturing. I want to find my full sense of value. I want to love my life. 

Get quiet and give yourself a moment to consider some small simple things can you do now to help you find more peace, love and gratitude. This will change your conversation with the universe and your life. 

With love, 

Jennifer