Meal prepping is a great tool to help keep yourself on a healthy eating track. You not only can control your portion sizes, you also save money, improve your cooking skills, and it's a win win when it comes to time management. 

When it comes to meal prepping, here are my top 5 tips for ultimate success when doing this for the long haul!

Start by creating a core grocery list of 10 items that will always serve as your foundation. 

Here is what I would suggest for a template: 

• 2 proteins
  • 3 vegetables
  • 2 fruits
  • 1 fat
  • 2 starch

It might look a little something like this: 

• Salmon
  • Chicken
  • Broccoli
  • Salad
  • Carrots
  • Apples
  • Bananas
  • Olive oil
  • Brown rice
  • Quinoa

This will help you to save an incredible amount of time and money vs. fishing through recipes and piecing everything together. Remember, olive oil, pepper and little sea salt can go a long way!

Invest in high quality glass containers with matching lids that snap. 

These little guys will be your saving grace. Cook in advance before your busy week starts, portion individual meals out and freeze in glass containers. Over a few weeks’ time, you will collect a variety of meals and never become bored when you come home and need a 30 second reheat. For those that live on take out for the pure convenience, these containers will be your new best friend.

Cook in bulk! 

Sure, you’ve heard this before, but what good is cooking in bulk without a core grocery list and pretty glass containers? Set the foundation before you cook in bulk and you will witness more long term success.

On your designated meal prep day, carve 2 hours out of your schedule the exact same way that you would for an important meeting or date night. 

Your health is just as important if not more important and let’s be honest, if its not carved into the calendar, you will find one million and one excuses to skip prepping.  Nothing should get in the way of these two hours and if it does, find a new day/ time!

Be sure to have 5-6 different fresh or dried spices and herbs on hand at all times

An awesome flavor profile can go a long way, especially when you are sticking with a core grocery list of 10 items. Chicken, rice and broccoli can taste quite different, depending what you sprinkle on it! I often mix and match the spices in their own container and dip into it as needed throughout the week. 

My favorite suggestions: 

• Chili Powder
  • Sea Salt
  • Garlic
  • Onion powder
  • Chipotle
  • Cilantro

There you have it! 5 simple yet effect steps for ultimate success when meal prepping. For those of you that do meal prep, or would like to but never really stick with it, what do you find the most challenging?

With love, 

Kylene