Looking for something new to add into your diet this for ultimate health? These are my 5 top recommendations for what foods you should be adding into your routine to better support your health. Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

1. Citrus Fruit (Flesh and rinds): Grapefruit, lemon, lime and orange may not pop immediately into the brain during winter, but citrus fruits are an awesome way to fight inflammation. The naturally occurring flavonoids in the flesh and rinds help to neutralize free radicals. 
  2. Mushrooms: particularly Lion’s mane, shiitake and portobello. Mushrooms are one of nature’s best superfoods due to their nutrient dense composition. In addition to an excellent vitamin profile, mushrooms contain a variety of antioxidants and phenols to help fight inflammation. Pro Tip: be sure not to overcook as mushrooms lose nutrients more readily this way.
  3. Cherries & Grapes: Cherries and grapes contain an abundance of anthocyanins. Grapes are one of the best sources of resveratrol. In other words, these fancy names are powerful antioxidants that give grapes and cherries their deep red and purple color. The compounds found in their beautiful hues have been linked repeatedly in the research to decreasing our risk for cancer, heart disease, and obesity. 
  4. Avocados: This may not come as a surprise, but do you know why avocados are so magical? Besides being packed full of fiber, electrolytes, monounsaturated fats, and antioxidants, avocado research extends far and wide. This healthy-fat laden fruit has the ability to reduce inflammation in skin cells as well as the ability to reduce our cancer risk- and so much more!
  5. Curcumin (main bioactive component in turmeric): I love and believe in this spice so much that I may consider having “curcumin” engraved on my tombstone. Truthfully, if you are only going to add one new ingredient or food to your repertoire this year, please consider turmeric. Turmeric is a spice that contains a bioactive substance called curcumin. Curcumin helps to turn off NF-kappa B, one of the main compounds that triggers inflammation.