My oldest son is in 1st grade this year. He was diagnosed with ASD a couple of years ago. We were finally able to get him ABA therapy this past summer and he is continuing to go for 1.5 hours each day after school. We are seeing progress in areas that he has struggled with and he is doing better in school behavior-wise than last year thanks to therapy, his wonderful care and education team, and generally maturing.

He was in Kindergarten last year, but because of the pandemic and multiple bouts of virtual learning, they didn't go on any field trips. This year they do have field trips planned and the first one is coming up at the end of October. I am torn about whether or not to chaperone. On one hand, this is something that I've been looking forward to since becoming a mom and specifically a stay-at-home mom. On the other hand, I know my son. I'm afraid that if I'm there, he will see me as a crutch and possibly not fully experience the field trip with his classmates. This attachment has decreased a bit as he's gotten older, but it still exists. My husband took him to a birthday party recently at a local park. He said he played with his friends for a good amount of time but did end up looking back to Daddy to play with him instead. We are at that point where we want to protect him and be there for him, but we also want to foster healthy independence as well.

Any moms or mom adjacent figures with similar experiences?