Having constant gut and digestive issues? Feel like you may be experiencing a hormonal imbalance? Before you jump to a doctor’s visit, let’s take a look at your diet. Refined carbohydrates and added sugars are⁣ everywhere and are often the biggest hindrance to your success.

⁣Now let’s be clear, an indulgence every now and then is not a problem. However, consuming foods with added sugars and under eating protein/healthy fat throughout the day can set off a host of unwanted effects, including unintentional weight gain or inability to lose weight, fatigue, bacterial overgrowth in the gut, anxiousness, among others according to research⁣. The worst symptom of all? Sugar cravings! 

Remember, your body will crave what you give it and if you are grabbing granola bars, dried cereal, and a piece of candy here and there, you will ride the sugar coaster until you put an end to these habits. 

Here are my top tips to curb sugar cravings:

1. STOP the artificial sweeteners! I know how tempting it can be to see “0g” next to sugar on a label but unless the item is naturally unsweetened, you are headed to the danger zone. On the whole, artificial sweeteners are significantly more sweet than table sugar, thus leading to more intense sugar cravings throughout the day. 
  2. Take the time to measure your protein at breakfast, lunch and dinner for an entire week. It might be awkward to haul measuring cups in public so use your palm as the judge. Whether it be tofu, eggs, or steak, make sure your portion of protein is at least the size of your palm at every meal. Inadequate protein intake leads to blood sugar dips which means our body begins to cry for sugar to bring our blood glucose level back up.  
  3. Avoid caffeine on a completely empty stomach. Sometimes it just feels so good to throw back a big cup of coffee in the morning. However, unfortunately, this can raise cortisol levels. Cortisol is our body’s main stress hormone and prepares our body for a fight or flight response by flooding it with sugar (glucose) which thereby supplies a quick energy source to our large muscles. This in turn stimulates..you guessed it...even more sugar cravings! 

Have you been working to fight off sugar cravings? If so, let me know what worked or let me know what other questions you have!

With love, 

Kylene