I love making a big batch of this sauce and keeping it in the refrigerator to mix with a pasta, grain bowl, or as a sauce for fish or chicken...it tastes great on almost anything!
Of course, it also has tons of health benefits as well. Raw garlic is one of the healthiest foods we can eat. It's antibacterial, antimicrobial and antiviral and contains a compound called allicin that helps boost white blood cell count to aid in the body’s detoxification process. It also contains prebiotics that feed the good bacteria in our gut to strengthen our microbiome.
Basil is a flavorful herb that also happens to be full of antioxidants that help fight chronic disease.
Avocado is full of those healthy fats crucial for brain and skin health. It lubricates our skin from the inside out keeping it dewy and youthful looking while also working to strengthen our mental clarity and focus.
Olive oil is a main part of the anti-inflammatory diet as we discuss in this month’s blog post.
Lemon also has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties, and its high vitamin C content helps boost collagen production in our skin.
Finally, pine nuts also contain those healthy fats and a punch of protein, iron and magnesium.
So all in all, each ingredient in this delicious sauce is working to promote your wellness. Most importantly, it tastes delicious. Enjoy!
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped and minced
- 1/2 cup pine nuts (can also use walnuts or hemp seeds)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Dash of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons water (can add more or less depending on how thick you want it)
- Rip the basil leaves off the stem and add to food processor with the rest of the ingredients
- Pulse until smooth and creamy
- Add more water if you want it to thin out
- Mix with pasta or use as a dipping sauce with veggies or protein