Turmeric is an ancient spice and herbal remedy that has a long history in the cuisine and herbal medicine healing of India, China and other South East Asian cultures. In both Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine, turmeric is one of the top 10 superfood/herbs for wellness. In Asia, the use of turmeric is well known for skin health and beauty. It's no surprise that recently, turmeric has made its way in the beauty products in Europe and the US. 

Let’s have a look at why this Asian superfood is on the beauty hot list!

How Does it Work?

This sunset-yellow spice, scientifically known as Curcuma longa, has anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and antioxidant properties that can help to:

• Heal wounds
  • Prevent breakouts (and lessen active ones)
  • Fight eczema and psoriasis
  • Reduce acne scarring
  • Brighten dark circles
  • Bring out your natural glow

Though it may be a relatively new skin treatment in the Western world, turmeric has racked up centuries of street cred as an Indian health treatment for a number of skin and body issues.

More research is needed to determine the best methods for applying it, but I'm going to be covering what we know so far and how you can start incorporating it into your skincare routine. 

Let's start off with how to use turmeric for skin brightening and how to make your own DIY turmeric lotion.

Turmeric for Skin Lightening

A triple shot of espresso can work wonders on your brain, but not so much for under-eye shadows. After your next all-nighter, try turmeric! A recent study found that turmeric essential oil in a lotion formulation can brighten skin within three weeks with results that last just as long. 

These glowing benefits are likely the result of powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds working together to heal and bring out the natural health of skin. 

DIY Turmeric Lotion

Add a few drops of turmeric essential oil to a cream or oil based moisturizer (such as argan oil) and use it as you would your regular moisturizer. 

For my next post on turmeric, I'll be sharing how you can use turmeric to soothe Psoriasis. Make sure you are following the Turmeric topic to stay up to date on all of the posts!

xox, Dr. G