The 2nd CHAKRA
The second chakra, the Sacral Chakra, is the focal point of our emotions, sexuality, and creativity. It governs our sense of self-worth, how we relate to others (in a sexual as well as nonsexual way), and the confidence we have in our own creativity. This charka concerns emotional flow: feelings, fluidity, and openness. The essence of the Sacral Chakra is that of water, always flowing, never static. It represents grace and acceptance, an ability to “go with the flow.”
- Color: orange
- Element: water
- Location: lower abdomen, lower back, sexual organs
- Associated body parts: hips, lower back, sexual organs, bladder, kidneys, stomach, bodily fluids, (tears, urine, blood, menstrual fluids)
- Basic issues: pleasure, sexuality, sensuality, emotions, intimacy, warmth, creativity, confidence
- Gemstones and crystals: moonstone, orange tourmaline, tiger eye
- Flower essences: basil, hibiscus, lady’s slipper
- Essential oils: jasmine, rose, ylang-ylang
- Food: liquids (e.g., water, juices, teas)
Major issues of an unbalanced Sacral Chakra are sexual problems or dysfunction, fear of intimacy, inability to feel pleasure, emotional repression, fear of change or inability to change. Guilt may become an overriding theme in life. We may experience either a lack of emotional energy or emotional explosiveness.
Signs of unbalanced second chakra:
- Emotional or mental issues: out of touch with feelings, overly emotional or stoic, poor boundaries with other people as well as poor emotional boundaries, overt sexuality, excessive attachment, frustration, a tendency to be manipulative.
- Physical issues: gynecological problems; impotence; frigidity; kidney, bladder, or urinary problems; stiff lower back; lower backache
- Common addictions: sex, work, relationships sugar
When the Sacral Chakra is balanced, we feel confident and able to relate to others in an open, friendly manner. We can feel and freely process our emotions, allowing ourselves to find balance in our lives and appreciate the yin-yang of our existence. We are adaptable, feel creative, and are tuned in to the stream of life’s energy.
A balanced second chakra brings:
- an enjoyment of pleasurable activities without guilt
- a sense of surrender and of not having to be in control
- a strong connection to others while maintaining clear boundaries
- an ability to express and exhibit health emotional behaviors
Beneficial activities that promote and maintain a balanced Sacral Chakra:
- getting a massage, enjoying favorite music, taking a warm bath, doing gentle yoga