L-Tyrosine has made a viral appearance on TikTok as of late, and a lot of people are sharing the benefits they've experienced such as more energy, a boost in their mood and a natural tan from within.

L-Tyrosine is an amino acid that's one of the building blocks of cells to synthesize proteins. 

It's an important part of a lot of our metabolic processes and it's the foundational building block that helps to make dopamine, norepinephrine and adrenaline. These 3 adrenal hormones give you focus, concentration, clarity, motivation, energy, enthusiasm and initiation. It's also one of the main building blocks that helps your body to make thyroid hormones. L-Tyrosine also combined with iodine helps to make our thyroid, which supports energy and metabolism.

You might experience a glow to your skin when taking L-Tyrosine (and there have been plenty of people raving about the glow from within). This is because L-Tyrosine helps to make melanin in our skin. Brands will include L-Tyrosine in a lot of self tanning lotions and when taking L-Tyrosine alone, you can experience a huge increase in melanin.

If you're interested in taking L-Tyrosine on it's own, it's important to note that this is an amino acid that is better suited for people with low adrenal and thyroid. I don't recommend L-Tyrosine if someone is anxious or has insomnia as it can be aggregating - hence why so many people are claiming that this gives them a feeling similar to that of adderall.

I recommend eating whole foods that have L-Tyrosine as opposed to taking it on it's own as this is a safer way to get it. You can get it in the following foods:

• Eggs
  • Fish
  • Meat
  • Chicken
  • Nuts and seeds

So while this amino acid is making its way across TikTok, I would encourage anyone wanting to take L-Tyrosine on it's own, to check in with their doctor to ensure that this will properly support you and not cause any unnecessary angst.  

xox, Dr. G