When grocery shopping I always try to shop seasonally which means I am currently trying to take advantage of ALL the winter veggies- squash being one of them! Squash are a powerhouse of vitamins with carotenoids, vitamin C, lutein which all help to support your immune system which is so important these days!  I‘ve been making this kabocha squash recipe on repeat recently so wanted to share so you can enjoy too!  What’s great about Kabocha squash is you can eat the skin so it’s one less step during preparation- we love that :)

This recipe is adapted from a recipe I saw on Ereka Vetrini's instagram page

Ingredients:

• 1 Kabocha Squash
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup mirin
  • 2 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 3 Tbsp honey
  • sea salt and pepper (hot pepper flakes for extra spice)
  • Scallions, Sesame seeds and TJs chili onion crunch for garnish

Chop up your kabaocha squash into 1in chunks.  Be careful because these are tough to cut so take your time!  Arrange the squash skin side down in the bottom of a saucepan.  Next combine the chicken broth, mirin, tamari, sesame oil, honey, pinch of salt, and red pepper flakes or black pepper in a large bowl.  Stir together until the honey is dissolved throughout.  

Pour this mixture over the squash in the saucepan so they are covered but not drowning in liquid.  Place your pan on medium heat and bring to a boil.  Once boiling reduce the heat slight, put a cover on the pan and let simmer for 15-20minutes.  You want to squash to be fork tender but not mushy so check on it around the 15 minutes mark.  Once ready you can turn the heat off and let the squash sit in the poaching liquid until ready to serve.  

This dish is great on it's own served over rice or as a side dish.  The broth is honestly my favorite part!  I like to garnish mine with a sprinkle of sea salt, sesame seeds, scallions and some of TJ's chili onion crunch *IYKYK :)*

Hope you try this and if you do let me know how you like it!