For most women, PMS is a four-letter word. The condition is a compilation of more than 150 symptoms that manifest for a week or two before your period and may be due to hormone imbalance or other conditions, such as poor diet, stress, structural misalignment of the uterus and ovaries, neurotransmitter imbalances, thyroid dysfunction, anemia, and more. Symptoms include headaches, cramping, bloating, depression, anxiety, insomnia, breast tenderness, mood swings, increased appetite, weight gain, and food cravings. 

Try my remedies to balance hormones and alleviate symptoms: 

Nourish and Hydrate: Ease symptoms by increasing magnesium-rich foods—dark chocolate, sunflower seeds, leafy greens, and wild-caught salmon—as well as protein like oatmeal, yogurt, eggs, nuts, and cheese. Add raspberries, apples, oranges, and dark leafy greens to your diet for pain relief. Finally, drink 8–10 glasses of water daily to flush toxins and prevent bloating. 

Supplement: Boost your serotonin levels, energy, and mood with 5-HTP (50 mg in the evening to increase serotonin), daily B-complex, daily calcium D-glucarate, daily calcium/magnesium (500 mg/500 mg before bed), evening primrose oil (1,000 mg daily, starting two weeks before your period), flaxseed oil (1 tablespoon daily), a daily food-based women’s multivitamin and mineral supplement, a daily probiotic supplement (in the morning with food), and vitamin D3 (1,000 IU before bed). Herbs can also help reduce a variety of PMS symptoms. Try black cohosh, cramp bark, curcuma, dong quai, ginger, vitex, and wild yam. 

Treat: I recommend a variety of therapies that can be used in conjunction with each other to reduce a number of PMS symptoms: acupuncture (weekly before your cycle starts), chiropractic manipulation of your lower back and sacrum, nightly Epsom salt baths, exercise (20 minutes daily), massage oils of lavender, geranium, and clary sage on the belly, Mayan Abdominal Massage for uterus health (15 minutes daily), meditation (daily, 15 minutes minimum), sleep (8–10 hours nightly), sunlight (20 minutes daily without sunglasses), and yoga (1–2 times weekly). 

I hope you find this helpful! Let me know what questions or concerns you have around PMS. 

xox, Dr. G