Beautifully colored Buddha Bowls are everywhere now on social media but what are they and how do you make the perfect Buddha Bowl?
A Buddha Bowl is a plant based, nutrient dense food bowl inspired by Buddha himself many years ago. It is believed that Buddha would go from town to town, collecting small bits of food that residents were willing to spare in order to help feed those who were less fortunate.
The coolest thing about Buddha Bowls is that there are hundreds upon hundreds of combos for you to mix and match. Understanding the foundation of the bowl will help you to create a bowl according to your liking. Here is the ultimate template for success:
- Grain: Brown, red, white, purple or black rice. Quinoa, millet, farro and buckwheat are also popular additions!
- Legume: Lentils, black beans, chickpeas etc.
- Cooked Veggies: Whatever your heart desires! Don’t forget sautéed onion and garlic for the ultimate flavor boost. Red, sweet, or purple potatoes are always a nice add on.
- Raw Veggies: Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, sprouts, snap peas etc.
- Leafy Greens: Kale, spinach, collards, bok choy, or mustard greens.
- A pickled vegetable: The possibilities are endless! From pickled onion to pickled watermelon, sauerkraut and kimchi, experiment and see what you enjoy most.
- Tasty sauce: herbed tahini, chimichurri, spicy hummus!