Never mind those New Year’s resolutions, Springtime is my favorite time of year to hit the reset button! To me, spring represents rebirth, new life and hope.
There are so many ways you can create a detox protocol and it's important to note that different things work for different people. I would urge you to find a plan that works best for you and your lifestyle.
Here are a few tips and action items to help get you started:
- Give your gut a rest by cutting out alcohol, refined sugar, gluten and dairy.
- Swap out inflammatory fats such as trans fats as well as vegetable or seed oils with healthy fats such as nut oils, avocado oil, olive oil and ghee.
- Eat 5-6 servings of colorful fruits and veggies every day, plant based proteins (legumes and lentils), organic animal proteins such as organic, pasture-raised meats, free range DHA-enriched eggs and wild-caught fish.
- Adequate protein consumption provides essential amino acids which maintain muscle, bone and skin health. Proteins also help control appetite and reduce sugar cravings. Aim for 20-30 gm of healthy proteins per meal.
- Swap out your coffee for green tea. In addition to boosting metabolism, it contains an antioxidant known as epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). EDCG has been shown to reduce inflammation, support weight loss, and help prevent heart and brain disease.
- Add in movement activity of your choice. Even 30-45 minutes per day of low to moderate intensity exercise is beneficial.
- Center yourself with meditation, breathing exercises and yoga.
- Allow your body rest and restoration with at least 8 hours of sleep daily.
Yours in good health,
Dr. Ashita Gupta