With the Election just weeks away, Director of Community, @Kacey Langston connected with @Najaah Daniels, the former Chief of Staff at Vote.org and most recently, the Founder and CEO of Twice As Good LLC., a social impact firm that provides strategic consulting services, DEI training, and holistic hands-on coaching for social change agents.

Najaah, an inauguration baby, who’s birthday is on January 20th, has dedicated her life to becoming a progressive changemaker and political (badass) strategist in today’s society. 

Her first and middle names are Arabic in origin: Najaah = Success , Yasmine = Beautiful Flower which all makes sense as you read through her personal story and the success over her lifetime..and she’s only just begun. 

Najaah, not only a force to be reckoned with on the political front, is also a mindfulness self compassion coach and lightworker who credits the keys to her success have been gratitude, community, and self-awareness. She states that finding the keys to yours will unlock inner-peace even in the most hostile environments. AMEN to that, Najaah!

Introduce yourself! Tell us about you and what you'd like to share with the Love Club community. Najaah Yasmine Daniels (she/her/ella) is the Founder and CEO of Twice As Good LLC.,  a social impact firm that provides strategic consulting services, DEI training, and holistic hands-on coaching for social change agents. As an orator, political strategist, and campaign operative with over 12 years of experience, Najaah has worked across the United States spearheading electoral and issue-based campaigns at the local, state, and national level. She has received numerous accolades including a Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition and the Princeton Prize in Race Relations. Previously, Najaah served as Chief of Staff at Vote.org, the largest 501(c)(3) non-profit, non-partisan voter registration and voter turnout technology platform in America. Although a proud BlackLatina from New York, Najaah has lived and served in Las Vegas, NV since 2015 where she is affectionately known as the “New York Nevadan”. Outside of the office Najaah is known to throw down in the kitchen, on the dance floor, and in competitive sports.

Please share a bit of your work journey and experience with The Love Club. My work journey can be summed up in two words: unconventionally eclectic. When I started working as a community organizer and advocate, it was due to survival. My upbringing forced me to see both sides of the coin at a very young age. Growing up in the South Bronx then being adopted and moving to the suburbs of Rockland County, NY I saw how systems directly impact people -- for better and for worse. I was inspired to become involved in social justice organizations and at 16, I was the youngest elected President of the New York State Youth and College Division of the NAACP. My election as President was the starting point of my journey as a progressive changemaker, radical advocate, and national political strategist in today’s society. 

What made you want to get into politics? “First I am a public servant then I am everything else” is an original quote I frequently use to describe myself. As a product of the New York State Foster Care System, the daughter of a Dominican deportee, and legal guardian to my biological sisters, I have firsthand witnessed the hardships and barriers women and girls, people of color, and the working poor face daily. My upbringing made me question why certain groups of people — mostly individuals who look like me — are not given their chance at the American Dream. Through my civic leadership roles, as a BlackLatina woman with dreadlocks, I have developed as a leader by strengthening my ability to cultivate success and commonality within spaces where identity, equity, age, and power intersect.

What is your day to day like? Especially as we gear up for the election. What are some things people don’t know that happen behind the scenes? Before COVID-19, I traveled across the country 85-90% of the time working with diverse communities, public and private entities, and electoral candidates in need of coaching and support. As the “new normal” has called for, the majority of my work has been done remotely via Zoom, email, and phone. Since I am a face-to-face type of person, I like to conduct most of my meetings via Zoom, which allows me to fully work in thought partnership to grasp the ideas and concerns of the entity or individual I am working with. I spearhead both 501c3 (nonprofit) and 501c4 (political) work through an inclusive politics framework that creates structure and makes space for the perspectives and liberation of communities who have been historically marginalized -- my communities.

What do you love the most about your job or working in politics? As the Founder and CEO of Twice As Good LLC., what I love most about my job is that I now have the autonomy to prioritize intersectionality, holistic relationships, and conscious action. As an empath and light healer who works in politics, this transformative framework is not widely accepted because the majority of these systems and its leadership still operates on standards of excellence rooted in white supremacy. 

What has been your proudest moment or memory from your years of experience? Although politics can be soulless at times, I am thankful to have numerous fond memories throughout my years of experience. My proudest moment is the 2018 midterm election cycle, when I had the honor of being the congressional campaign manager for Senator Patricia “Pat” Spearman of Nevada. Since the birth of this nation Black women have served as America’s backbone, making us subject matter experts equipped with the resilience, empathy, and intersectionality needed to lead despite the lack of resources or support. Outside of Senator Spearman being the most dynamic and impactful public servant in this country (not up for debate), it was an opportunity of growth and investment for me as one of the youngest campaign managers in the country. As the late great Maya Angelou affirmed: “My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.”

What would you tell someone that is not planning on voting in the election? I have found that most people who choose not to vote fall into one of three categories:

1. Disfranchised:  to be deprived from a right (to vote) or privilege.
  2. Disengaged: emotionally detached.
  3. Disenchanted: disappointed by someone or something previously respected or admired; disillusioned.

All three of these reasons are valid, especially for nonvoters who identify as Black, Indigenous, or People of Color (BIPOC). For decades, BIPOC communities have fought for the right to vote, yet barriers to the ballot box increase as new voter suppression tactics are developed year after year. Voting is about POWER, the ability to influence outcomes successfully, and through voting we are able to influence the powers to be and hold them accountable. 

Voting also happens more than once every four years. Like sports betting or gambling (thank you Vegas!) if you only bet once, every four years, the odds are less in your favor but if you familiarize yourself with the game, practice, and bet more often - the odds will more likely be in your favor. Remember, voting is your fundamental right.

What would you tell someone that is voting in this election? CALL TO ACTION: Reach out to three people in your network, ask them to make a plan and commit to voting this cycle. Encourage them to reach out and do the same for at least three others. 

Remember there are multiple ways you can safely and securely exercise your right to vote the last two weeks before election day on November 3, 2020: 

1. Early Vote (if your state permits)
  2. Vote By Mail / Ballot Drop Box
  3. Vote In-Person

How do you plan to vote? What’s your voting plan? On Saturday, October 17, 2020 the state of Nevada started its early voting period which lasts until Friday, October 30th. This election cycle I will be voting by mail with my partner and sister. On Monday, October 26th, we will be dropping off our ballots, in-person, at one of the designated early voting sites which are also being utilized as drop box locations in Las Vegas, NV. 

What do you wish to see for the future of the United States? Based on my 12-year experience in the public sector, I have discovered that real change requires meeting people where they are, year-round grassroots organizing, and dismantling the romanticized idea of government (on all levels). When this level of organizing is reached, it results in solutions that last and transform lives; a necessary and urgent call-to-action based on the disparity I have witnessed both in my personal and professional lives.

Interested in connecting or working with Najaah? You can find her on The Club or LinkedIn