The fourth chakra, the Heart Chakra, is located at the heart center. It may be thought of as the balance point between the three lower (physical) and three higher (spiritual) chakras.
Representing true compassion, kindheartedness, selfless love, and devotion, the Heart Chakra is where we process and store emotional experiences.
The Heart Chakra speaks of “we” instead of “me.”
- Color: Emerald green
- Element: Air
- Location: Center of chest
- Associated body parts: Heart, lungs, diaphragm, chest, thymus, circulatory system, shoulders, arms, hands
- Basic issues: Love, compassion, kindness, relationships, self-acceptance, forgiveness, hope, sympathy, empathy
- Gemstones and crystals: Emerald, rose quartz, ruby
- Flower essences: Bleeding heart, holly, wild rose
- Essential oils: Marjoram, neroli, rose
- Food: Green vegetables (e.g., greens, leafy vegetables)
Major issues of an unbalanced Heart Chakra are grief, despair, heartache, jealousy, and sadness. Feelings of abandonment, isolation, loneliness, or shyness may dominate. We may be unable to feel compassion or empathy for others or ourselves, and we may feel disengaged, unemotional, and unable or unwilling to trust our hearts. Logic, not emotion, rules our behavior.
Signs of an unbalanced Heart Chakra:
- Emotional or mental issues: Resentment, suspicion, possessiveness, dependency, emotional insensitivity, passivity, sorrow, melancholy, depression
- Physical issues: Cardiovascular problems, hypertension, stroke, respiratory ailments, upper back and shoulder problems, arthritis
When the Heart Chakra is balanced, we are able to give and receive love, be compassionate, and feel a sense of wholeness and profound unity with others. We can let go, experiencing and enjoying a sense of our own emotional empowerment. This is when we begin to truly fathom the power of prayer, which emanates from this center.
A balanced fourth chakra brings:
- An overriding sense of compassion
- A willingness to share and give of ourselves
- A “heartstrings” connection to those we love
- A sense of hope and inspiration
Beneficial activities that promote and maintain a balanced Heart Chakra :
- Volunteering/involvement in charity
- Reading inspirational books
- Romantic movies
- Writing and expressing
What other chakra's are you interested in uncovering?
xox, Dr. G