Stage two incorporates exercise to get your muscles moving and blood and lymph flowing. I also suggest bodywork and detox treatments to take your cleanse to a deeper level. Not to mention, they are a great excuse (if you need it) to hit up a spa or create an at-home spa environment in the comfort of your own home.

Get Moving! 

Aerobic exercise helps boost blood and lymphatic circulation, gets oxygen to the brain and tissues, and pushes out toxins through the skin as you sweat. Exercise boosts your metabolism to promote weight loss and strengthens the heart and lungs. It also reduces stress and boosts endorphin production to make you feel as great as you look. 

If you don’t have an exercise routine already, think about the activities you really love. If you are having fun, you are more likely to stick with it. Try to find balance within your activities, for example, if you love running, take time to stretch after and before. Whatever you choose, be safe and take into account any physical limitations you might have. Exercise should be part of your daily life for the long term, but I don’t want you to overexert yourself during your detox. 

Here are my exercise recommendations: 

Aerobic Exercise 

• 15-20 minutes, 3 days per week
  • Try swimming, jogging, dancing, biking, or hiking.

Walking 

• 15-20 minutes daily
  • Tip: Swing your arms with the opposing leg as you step forward to boost lymphatic circulation and drain toxins from the blood. 

Yoga and Stretching 

• 10-15 minutes daily
  • Yoga systematically stretches and compresses every part of your body, naturally keeping waste-removal systems of the body functioning well. Yoga supports your mental detox and clears negative emotions such as stress, fear, anxiety and depression out of the cells of your body. 

Bodywork and Additional Body Detox Treatments 

My additional body-related recommendations are more passive treatments, such as massage, Epsom salt baths, castor oil packs, body scrubs, colon hydrotherapy and sauna treatment. I like to call this the "Intermission" as these treatments will make you feel super relaxed and peaceful. 

Massage releases tension in muscles and tissues to let go of toxins and flush them out through the lymphatics. What I love about Epsom salt baths is that they provide a high concentration of magnesium and other minerals. The warm water opens your pores as your skin soaks up these much-needed minerals, leading to total relaxation as it removes lactic acid build up from tissues. 

Castor oil packs are an old traditional remedy used to cleanse the liver, gallbladder, lymph and large intestines. The sticky oil derived from castor beans is applied topically and soaked in through the skin to have amazing internal benefits. 

Be sure to also try a body scrub. This helps you look younger and more radiant by using salt or sugar to exfoliate dead skin cells, leaving underlying layers free to regenerate. 

Detox time is the perfect excuse to treat yourself to these spa-like treatments in or out of the home. Trust me, they make detoxing a lot more fun and they benefit the entire body with relaxation and rest. Next thing you know, you'll be doing them when you are not in detox mode! 

Massage Therapy 

• One session per week or month 
  • Relaxes your mind and releases muscle tension.

Epsom Salt or Sea Salt Baths 

• 20 minutes, once per week
  • Prepare a warm bath with 2 cups of salts for total relaxation.

Castor Oil Packs 

• 30 minutes, once per month 
  • Massage a quarter-size dab into your lower abdomen below the ribs. Warm the area with a heating pad or hot water bottle wrapped in a towel.
  • Leave 30-40 minutes to enhance castor oil absorption.

Body Scrubs and Exfoliations 

• Once per month 
  • Exfoliate dead cells resulting in soft, glowing skin.

Colon Hydrotherapy 

• One session per week or month
  • Colon irrigation removes residual toxins that accumulate on intestinal walls. This also relieves constipation. 

Steam or Sauna 

• 10-20 minutes, 2 days per week
  • Many of us don't have access to a real sauna or steam room right now. Instead, you can just close your bathroom door and turn on the hot water and let it get as steamy as you can handle. This induces a deep sweat to remove toxins stored in fat cells and blood.
  • Note: If you have high or low blood pressure or other medical conditions, consult your physician before using the steam or sauna. For those in good health, use the steam or sauna for 5-10 minutes at a time and follow up with an electrolyte drink (raw coconut water or Emergen-C) to prevent dehydration. 

What are some questions you have around detoxing your body? Next up I'll be sharing stage three - how to detox your mind.

xoxo, Dr. G

Make sure you're following the Detox 101 topic for more posts on my approach to a complete mind, body, and soul detox.