When it comes to sex, both your enjoyment, safety, and health are key. Here are the top 5 things that you should always do before sex.
- Make sure you have your contraception lined up: whether it be birth control pills, an IUD, condoms, or spermicide; make sure you’re honest and open with your partner about contraception.
- Protect yourself from STI’s and have a condom ready. Even if using a different form of contraception, condoms are the MOST important for protecting yourself from STI’s.
- If you’re using toys, make sure that they’re washed and ready. All toys should be rinsed with soap and water after each use, this helps decrease bacteria that can be present from bodily fluids.
- Have your lubricant ready. Whether you’re a lube every time girl, or only when necessary, a lack of lubrication can really dampen the mood and cause sex to become painful.
- Most importantly, make sure you feel comfortable! Whether it’s a new partner or an old flame, know your boundaries and express them to your partner.
Dr. Shweta Desai