It can be tough getting back on track after the holidays. Let's face it, it's human nature to start something, let it slide for a bit and then feel like you're starting back at square one. We've all been there and we all pick ourselves up and try again. Getting back into the swing of things can be difficult, and sometimes easier said than done but have no fear! As we approach the New Year, I’ve got your back.

Here are my 5 steps to getting back on track:

Get Rid of Guilt

You ate more than you intended to or maybe didn’t pick the healthiest option. We have all been there. Feeling guilty is unproductive and serves no one. Take a few breaths, be kind to yourself and focus on moving forward. What are you going to do moving forward to feel your best? 

Healthy Habits Don't Start on Monday

I don’t like the word diet, but making healthier choices starts now, with your next meal. Pushing off lifestyle changes until Monday, or until after the holidays, or until the New Year? Yea yea, we’ve heard that one before. Stop procrastinating! There is no better time than now to start treating yourself with the utmost respect! Treat each meal like a Monday morning. Every bite you take is a new opportunity to make better choices. One indulgent meal or treat won’t destruct your wellness goals, and we all deserve to treat ourselves in a mindful, positive way once in awhile. Try to remember that each bite you take is a choice to serve your best self, or get in your own way. What are you going to choose? Check in with yourself, is this option worth it? Are you eating that for the right reasons?

Drink up! 

Now that you’ve committed to moving forward in a positive way, what exactly are you going to do to feel better? First, let’s start by detoxifying a bit. If you overdid it on sugary, fatty, foods, the best thing to do is drink a lot of water. Start and finish your day with a cup of warm water with a squeeze of lemon and aim for 3 liters of water throughout the day. Lemon has detoxifying and anti-inflammatory properties. Hydrating properly will help your liver and kidneys flush out those toxins. 

More Plants 

Besides hydrating with water, you want to eat lots of hydrating fruits and vegetables. Plants like berries, leafy greens, bell peppers, cucumbers, and celery have high water content as well as fiber. Fiber helps detoxify, keep your digestion regular and balance your microbiome all while keeping you fuller for longer. After your lemon water, start your day with a bowl of berries and possibly a big salad or vegetable based soup for lunch. After going big on hard to digest and inflammatory foods, these foods are gentle on the body and help detoxify and reset.

Move it! 

Exercise helps rev up your digestion, increase energy, burn calories and boost your mood. But one important thing - don’t hit the gym with negative thoughts, beating yourself up or with a goal to burn off what you ate. Instead, pick a form of exercise that you actually enjoy and set choose a positive intention.  Some of my favorites are “I’m moving to spark joy," “I’m moving to shift and move some energy," “I’m moving because I deserve to feel my best." Whatever you choose, make sure it feels positive, self loving and good to you.

We all overdo it sometimes, so go easy on yourself! 

I hope these tips will help you reset and move forward in a positive way.

To a healthy, happy, New Year!

With love, 

Molly