Spring is here and that means out with the old and in with the new.  So what does that mean for your vaginal health?  If you are stuck with old habits that aren't doing you any good, now is the time to start new ones!

1. Start with throwing away some of those old underwear with the holes or broken elastic.  I know they are comfortable, but invest in some new ones preferably made of breathable fabrics like cotton or bamboo.  Research shows that you should replace underwear at least once a year because even your clean undies can harbor bacteria.  
  2. I say this all the time but I’ll say it again because it is important: keep your feminine hygiene simple. Use a fragrance free, no-dye cleanser or soap to clean the vulva only.  No douching or sprays. The vagina is self cleaning.  Sometimes we may do too much that will get rid of bacteria such as lactobacilli that is important in maintaining good vaginal health. Keep in mind that some vaginal discharge is normal.  Every vagina is unique but they due share some common characteristics.  Every woman has her own amount of discharge and distinct smell that varies from woman to woman. As long as there is no itching, pain, irritation, or foul smelling discharge, it is normal. 
  3. If you to choose to shave, make sure you use a clean and sharp razor with a hydrating shaving cream.  After shaving, exfoliate the bikini area to prevent ingrown hairs.  
  4. The last thing on your list is to make sure you are updated on your Pap smear to test for cervical cancer. I know it’s not anyone’s favorite thing to do, but it is so important to do.  It could save your life.  

Let me know what questions you have about vaginal health!